Blue Lion - a new OS/2 distribution due mid 2016
Graeme Geldenhuys
2015-11-04 01:11:14 UTC
IBM licensed another company to make a new OS/2 distribution - based on
OS/2 v4.51. First release due in mid 2016. No idea what that would
hold, but lets be positive and maybe there is a resurgence in OS/2. :-)

[http://www.osnews.com/story/28933/Blue_Lion_new_OS_2_distribution_due_2016]
--
Regards,
- Graeme -

My public PGP key: http://tinyurl.com/graeme-pgp
Marty Stanquist
2015-11-08 17:58:12 UTC
"Graeme Geldenhuys" wrote in message news:n1blvi$cse$***@www.openwatcom.org...

IBM licensed another company to make a new OS/2 distribution - based on
OS/2 v4.51. First release due in mid 2016. No idea what that would
hold, but lets be positive and maybe there is a resurgence in OS/2. :-)

[http://www.osnews.com/story/28933/Blue_Lion_new_OS_2_distribution_due_2016]
--
Regards,
- Graeme -

My public PGP key: http://tinyurl.com/graeme-pgp

Thanks for the post.

Marty
Andreas Kohl
2015-12-01 00:10:44 UTC
Post by Graeme Geldenhuys
IBM licensed another company to make a new OS/2 distribution - based on
OS/2 v4.51. First release due in mid 2016. No idea what that would
hold, but lets be positive and maybe there is a resurgence in OS/2. :-)
[http://www.osnews.com/story/28933/Blue_Lion_new_OS_2_distribution_due_2016]
I cannot understand enthusiasm about a "new" release of 15 year old
programs or code. We can only hope that all fixes up to 2005 will be
included to make it's deployment not too stressy.

Last week new version of Free Pascal 3.0 also for OS/2 was released. I'm
just asking because you did sometime this document viewer for INF-files
when remembering correctly. So will it be possible to build it under
OS/2 or are additional ports of libraries required before.

Andreas Kohl
Dave Yeo
2015-12-01 07:24:20 UTC
Post by Andreas Kohl
Last week new version of Free Pascal 3.0 also for OS/2 was released. I'm
just asking because you did sometime this document viewer for INF-files
when remembering correctly. So will it be possible to build it under
OS/2 or are additional ports of libraries required before.
More units (libraries) need to be ported to build the newer doc viewer.
Newview still works fine.
Dave
Graeme Geldenhuys
2015-12-09 19:42:05 UTC
Hello Dave,
Post by Dave Yeo
More units (libraries) need to be ported to build the newer doc viewer.
Correct, because DocView is based on fpGUI Toolkit. On the other hand,
fpGUI is 100% implemented in Object Pascal and does all it own widget
painting etc. It also talks directly to the OS windowing libraries like
XLib (X11) and Win32. My OS/2 port of fpGUI will follow the same route.
So there will be no need for other large 3rd party dependencies like
GTK2, Qt, WxWidgets etc.

Graeme Geldenhuys
2015-12-09 19:37:33 UTC
Hello Andreas,
I'm just asking because you did sometime this document viewer for
INF-files when remembering correctly. So will it be possible to build
it under OS/2 or are additional ports of libraries required before.
Yes, I'm the author of DocView, which uses the custom drawn GUI
toolkit, fpGUI. So at the moment DocView is not available for OS/2, I'm
actually in the process of implementing an OS/2 backend for fpGUI. So
hopefully in a month or so (my free time is limited these days) fpGUI
and any fpGUI based applications (eg: DocView, UIDesigner, Maximus IDE,
OSMusic, OSMail etc will support OS/2 as well. I'll then move on to
Haiku support. :)

In the interim I suggest that any OS/2 users use NewView to view INF
and HLP files under OS/2.