ARMv7 Target Initiative
Marty Stanquist
2012-11-18 07:59:01 UTC
I'd like to introduce a new effort to develop target support for the ARMv7
architecture. We'll be resurrecting one of the Open Watcom RISC tool chains
(i.e. AlphaAPX, PowerPC, or MIPS) making modifications for ARMv7 according
to the Open Watcom porting guide. This can be found on the website at
address:

http://www.openwatcom.org/index.php/Porting_Guide

As described in the porting guide, we will proceed as follows:

1). Write a disassembler
2). Port the debugger
3). Port the assembler
4). Port the C front end
5). Port the codegen
6). Port the clib
7). Port the linker
8). Run (and pass) tests
9). Continue porting the C++ and F77 compilers and other tools

In addition, I would also like to add an ARM simulation environment so
programs can be compiled and debugged on a local Intel x64 machine without
a remote debugger or external emulator.

Eventually, the project will allow end users to develop applications for ARM
based Linux, Andriod, Windows CE, and Windows 8 systems. There are also many
new ARM applications just over the horizon, such as for OS X and DOS.

Since much of the initial work will involve the disassembler, debugger, and
assembler, a new newsgroup has been started for assembler issues. This is
"openwatcom.users.assembler". These tools will be command line based for
quite some time. Since the project may make use of external tools during
part of the development, **we ask that all project and external tool related
issues be discussed in the Open Watcom forums.** This will allow us to track
the issues and more easily provide support. I'd like encourage all of you to
get involved. Much more discussion will be needed as we proceed with
development and testing. For now, I'll keep things short. Hope to see you
soon in Android land!

Marty
Paul K. McKneely
2013-05-06 20:34:35 UTC
Hey Marty,

This sounds great.
Post by Marty Stanquist
Eventually, the project will allow end users to develop applications for
ARM based Linux, Andriod, Windows CE, and Windows 8 systems. There are
also many new ARM applications just over the horizon, such as for OS X and
DOS.
Does this include C compiler support for standalone ARM
systems that boot from power on? There is an ARM7 project
that looks like it is openning up for me. This will be a double
win for me as I want to continue to keep my development
within the OpenWatcom toolchain and end up supporting
both AMD64 and ARM7.
Marty Stanquist
2013-05-08 07:30:19 UTC
Yes. Initially, AMD64 support will just include the C compiler and will rely
upon Japheth's tools to assemble and link the code. For ARM7 and 8, the
tool set will be more complete. There will be a command line C compiler, an
assembler, a disassembler, a debugger, a librarian, a C library, and a
linker. We will end up doing two ports. One that runs on a native ARM host
and one that runs on an Intel host. For the Intel host, I hope to include an
ARM instruction set and system emulator that will allow you to compile,
link, and debug your ARM code right on your Intel PC all within Open Watcom.
As the tools become stable, we will add support for the C++ and F77
compilers, the IDE, and the other Open Watcom utilities. I'm also looking
forward to developing AMD64 and ARM apps within Open Watcom and hope to get
some of the tools released this summer.

Marty

"Paul K. McKneely" wrote in message news:km947h$bs5$***@www.openwatcom.org...

Hey Marty,