WATBOL
Bill Gunshannon
2014-04-01 12:25:16 UTC
Not sure where to post this but here goes. I see that Waterloo
Fortran, C and Assembler have all taken on a new life. What
ever happened to WATBOL? Is it available anywhere? I guess it
has little interest in the grand scheme of openwatcom but there
are some out here who might be interested in working with it.

bill
***@cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton |
Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include <std.disclaimer.h>
Paul S. Person
2014-04-03 16:58:31 UTC
Post by Bill Gunshannon
Not sure where to post this but here goes. I see that Waterloo
Fortran, C and Assembler have all taken on a new life. What
ever happened to WATBOL? Is it available anywhere? I guess it
has little interest in the grand scheme of openwatcom but there
are some out here who might be interested in working with it.
I suspect that the /real/ problem is that it wasn't commercialized as
the other Watcom compilers were and so was never converted to open
software when they were.

A bit of research suggests that it never made the transition from the
IBM 370 and DOS/VS to the PC. So, unless you happen to have an IBM 370
or a computer running DOS/VS, I would say that you are out of luck.

But I could be wrong. I only did a little research. Although I must
say that the discussion at
http://archive.michigan-terminal-system.org/discussions/permission-to-include-licensed-programs/forthewaterloocompilersprologcprologwwatbolwatfivandwbasic
might or might not be helpful to you, as there appears to be talk of
distributing the WAT series for something (as ancient as an IBM 370
and DOS/VS, no doubt) called "MTS".
--
"Nature must be explained in
her own terms through