x64 support in OpenWatcom
Salah
2012-11-09 23:25:41 UTC
Hi All,

Does anyone happen to know if there are plans for x64 support for
OpenWatcom? I'm specifically interested in 64-bit PE executable generation.

Thanks,
Salah
Salah

Salah
Marty Stanquist

Salah
Salah

Salah
Marty Stanquist

Salah
Leif Ekblad
2012-11-10 11:36:00 UTC
I'd wish that 64-bit support from JWASM was merged back into the OW project.
That would also be a first step in introducing 64-bit support to the C/C++
compiler. I've tested JWASM, but it doesn't work as a replacement for WASM,
but rather needs some (possibly major) modifications to compile existing
code.

Salah
Marty Stanquist
2012-11-10 13:33:43 UTC
JWASM is an independent project at the author's request. We'll be addressing
target issues such as x64, ARM, and vector arithmetic support in the coming
year. Maintaining compatibility with WASM will be one of the objectives.

Marty

Salah
Leif Ekblad
2012-11-11 11:33:19 UTC
OK. I'll use JWASM for implementing the 64-bit kernel code in RDOS, which
makes it
relatively easy to switch to an updated WASM later. I initially started with
NASM, but
due to NASM not being able to handle WASM/MASM compatible structures, I had
to switch. I anticipate to have a functional 64-bit mode in RDOS within
perhaps half
a year or so. After that I need to select a target c/c++ compiler. I might
try the
GCC/Newlib combination to start with, but if the OW project releases a
64-bit
target with support for C/C++, I'll look into supporting that as well.