Perforce Server Upgrade Request
Marty Stanquist
2012-05-08 14:47:37 UTC
I've submitted a request to Perforce this morning asking that they upgrade
our server. This will allow us to use the GUI client P4V. Since we have
numerous team members using OS/2 and eComStation, I asked for clarification
on the download links for these clients as well. I'll keep the group updated
as to Perforce's response and if there will be any downtime as a result.

Marty
Paul S. Person
2012-05-08 16:05:08 UTC
On Tue, 8 May 2012 09:47:37 -0500, "Marty Stanquist"
Post by Marty Stanquist
I've submitted a request to Perforce this morning asking that they upgrade
our server. This will allow us to use the GUI client P4V. Since we have
numerous team members using OS/2 and eComStation, I asked for clarification
on the download links for these clients as well. I'll keep the group updated
as to Perforce's response and if there will be any downtime as a result.
I did some testing a while back, and, at least without requiring
passwords, both P4Win and the OS/2 client work with the latest
Perforce server.

I was able to do things like: define the client & local depot, add
files to the server depot, synch with the server depot, and propagate
changes between the two client depots. The basic stuff needed to
contribute to Open Watcom.

Of course, these older clients can only use the features that were
available when they were built. But then, I don't expect they will be
used to do much more than that; an up-to-date client will surely be
the thing to use to manage an up-to-date server.

If you want, I can add passwords and verify that they will work. I can
also try any other test, provided it is specific enough; my knowledge
of Perforce is very limited.
--
"Nature must be explained in
her own terms through
the experience of our senses."
Marty Stanquist
2012-05-09 04:20:41 UTC
Perforce replied to my email today providing me with the instructions for
upgrading the server. It is a relatively simple procedure with a lot of
considerations. I'll be reviewing the documentation for the next week or so
and will give everyone plenty of notice prior to attempting the procedure.
It's still a ways off. The most pressing consideration seems to be the
possibility of breaking the P4Win and OS/2 P4 clients. I'm having further
discussions with Perforce to fully understand this issue and explore
possible alternatives. There are a couple of things that would assist me
with this. First, I would like to determine a head count of OS/2 and eCS
developers. If you are in this camp, please reply to my subsequent Roll Call
post (send me an email directly, not to the newsgroup). Also, I would like
to better understand the ability of OS/2 and eCS to possibly run P4 or P4V
in an emulation window under 32-bit Windows XP/Vista/7 or under 32-bit Linux
2.6. This might be an option if we are unable to pick a server release that
supports all our clients. If you are using P4Win and/or the OS/2 P4 client,
please post the download links you are using on the Perforce website. I do
not have these links. I'm also trying to convince Perforce to directly
support OS/2 and eCS in an upcoming private release. This is all under
discussion.

Marty

Roald Ribe
2012-05-09 05:08:40 UTC
Hello,

Traditionally we bottom post in this group, but since this has started already ;-)
HX-DOS could possibly present another option to run the newer WIN32 P4 command
line client. But this will need to be tested by someone if interesting.

Nice to see some focused activity again :-)

Roald
Frank Beythien
2012-05-09 09:38:27 UTC
Post by Marty Stanquist
[...]
I don't think so, as a P4 client (whether native or in an emulation
window) would connect directly to the P4 server.
Post by Marty Stanquist
we are unable to pick a server release that supports all our clients. If
you are using P4Win and/or the OS/2 P4 client, please post the download
links you are using on the Perforce website. I do not have these links.
For eCS I'm using
ftp://ftp.perforce.com/perforce/r02.2/bin.os2/p4.exe

OS/2 (output from p4 -V):
Perforce - The Fast Software Configuration Management System.
Copyright 1995, 2002 Perforce Software. All rights reserved.
Rev. P4/OS2/2002.2/41879 (2003/02/24).

I don't find any reference to OS/2 clients anymore on the perforce
website, but the old clients are in the download area
Post by Marty Stanquist
I'm also trying to convince Perforce to directly support OS/2 and eCS in
an upcoming private release. This is all under discussion.
I did not check for new functionality in newer P4 clients, but so far I
didn't miss any with the r02.2 OS/2 client.

Frank
Paul S. Person
2012-05-09 17:25:35 UTC
On Wed, 09 May 2012 11:38:27 +0200, Frank Beythien <***@gmx.de>
wrote:

<snippo>
Post by Frank Beythien
For eCS I'm using
ftp://ftp.perforce.com/perforce/r02.2/bin.os2/p4.exe
Perforce - The Fast Software Configuration Management System.
Copyright 1995, 2002 Perforce Software. All rights reserved.
Rev. P4/OS2/2002.2/41879 (2003/02/24).
As am I, in my very small test setup.

And it appears to work. It certainly doesn't complain about the
server.

Of course, the only way to be sure is to convert to the new server and
see.

<snippo>
Post by Frank Beythien
I did not check for new functionality in newer P4 clients, but so far I
didn't miss any with the r02.2 OS/2 client.
The web site does offer new capabilities, which I frankly have no
clear understanding of at all, but whether they would affect an older
client is unknown. I would think that any new feature that results in
a starting-point that a client can "see" for purposes of mapping to
the local depot will be a new feature the client can be used with. If
the command-line client simply passes the commands on to the server
(that is, if it does not prevent commands it doesn't recognize from
being sent), the OS/2 client might even be able to use the new
features, which would presumably be implemented as new commands.
Paul S. Person
2012-05-09 17:15:16 UTC
On Tue, 8 May 2012 23:20:41 -0500, "Marty Stanquist"
<***@att.net> wrote:

I don't think P4Win is available any longer.

Although my testing shows that both P4Win and the OS/2 command-line
client will work with Server 2011.1, that was done without defining a
password. Of course, that may simply mean that and empty password
matched an empty password. If you like, I can add actual passwords and
retest my very tiny 2011.1 depot with P4Win and the OS/2 command-line
client..

And if P4Win /should/ become unusable, replacing it with P4V would
surely make more sense than anything else. Granted, when I briefly
installed the 2011.1 P4V it looked very "busy"; however, a bit of
effort should produce a user interface that a user might actually want
to look at.